Mondays


It’s Monday… and unlike most folks I don’t dread Mondays.  Well I should say I don’t dread them nearly as much as I use to, which is actually not a good thing.  My assumption is that people hate Mondays so much because they are the harbinger of the WORK week to come.  They are so close to that lazy Sunday  that the reality of getting back to the weekly grind of life and work SMACKS them in the face with Monday.  Well Mondays aren't like that to me because well I'm still on my couch like Sunday, except I'm working.

The problem for me is that I don’t have a weekly work grind, so to speak.  I work from home about 70% of the time and because of this my grind life often runs into my leisurely weekend life. I don’t have to wake up by a certain time, to get ready, so I can fight with traffic and be bright eyed and bushy tailed at my desk by some magical time.  Although it sounds great in theory, waking up, brushing your teeth, checking your e-mails, showering , throwing on some sweats , and then getting into your day,wet hair and all, has its disadvantages too. My day is missing something that I need desperately, but until recently was built in for me. That something is structure.  

Yep good old structure from childhood, the thing that we all hate but structure is the thing I severely need. This work from home journey has only reinforced what I know about myself and that is how much better I do with some structure in my life.  Nothing highly regimented like to the hour, but a place to be 3-5 times a week would work for me.  These days I am learning how to build my own structure. It's something that I've never really had to do since college. It's actually worse than college, in a a sense, because I don't even have a steady schedule of classes to work around.  I mean I do have the work day, but what I'm finding is 8-5 is not really enough structure, when you don't leave the house.  Well at least for me.

Today I start on my road to being more disciplined and maintaining some kind of structure and routine to this little old golden life of mine.  I'm actually really excited about it, because I feel my current lack of it is sucking all the time out of my day.  There's no way that I should have this kind of schedule with the professional autonomy I have, and not reap some personal benefits from it. NO WAY!!  So with the Spring will come a more structured and happy Glam!! I can't wait. THE REBIRTH!

BE EZ,

Comments

12kyle said…
I totally feel you! I work from home full time. My days are extremely structured. I like it, tho. Monday's are cool for me. I just wish I had a day between Saturday and Sunday. Haaaaa

Popular Posts