A New Year a Better Life


  
Man, the first month of 2012 is half way over and I’m just now getting a chance to blog. Not that I’ve been here regularly or anything. Let’s see… I don’t make resolutions however I do set goals and have growth points I'd like to reach. For me 2012 is about simplifying my life. As of late I have been really conscious of my consumption. I am a consumer….I have come to realize and accept that as long as I have means I will buy pretty things. Pretty things I don’t need….pretty things that make me happy…pretty things that clutter my life.  I want to get back to a simpler time in my life.  I mean I fear that if I don’t I will become one of those monsters consumed with THINGS in life and not PEOPLE.  I don’t ever wanna lose the small town black girl with dreams bigger than her surroundings that is me.  I don’t ever want to become someone who equates things with self-worth or that believes that people with more trappings somehow intrinsically are better than me. I don’t ever want my self-worth to come from anything material.

So for 2012 my goal and my growth point is less…. My goal is to only buy things that are special to me. My goal is to be more thoughtful about what I bring into my house.  To reuse more, to create less waste.  I’ve already started this shift in 2011 however in 2012 I really want to get better and see tangible improvements.  I wanna have less things around me so I appreciate the things that are truly valuable in my life. I want to make room in my life for more people and relationships and less things. And yes by relationships I mean all kinds. It seems I have made room in my life for friendships but I don’t think I really made room for partnerships (also known as romantic relationships). I don’t know I just want to be better as a person and I think who I am in a relationship makes me a well-rounded person. I just want to be free of clutter that may cloud that goal.

Anyway I’m just gonna spend 2012 tackling the last things on my leap list, so to speak. I feel like my life is in a blessed place right now and if I continue to stretch and grow it will only continue to get be better even in its darkest times. That’s all I got.

So do you have a leap list?  You know a list of things you wanted to do before you settled down or had kids or got a certain age?  Feel free to share if you do and why if you don’t. Most of my leap list items have to do with making myself a better person so I can be a better person, friend,sister, daughter,aunt, cousin, granddaughter, niece and partner. Relationships and People.  That’s really what life is about to me.

Be EZ,
OG

Comments

Popular Posts