No Place Like It

Wassup? I know its been a few days. I was taking a mini-vacay. I had yesterday off to honor the many veterans who fought and died for my freedom. It was a honor and privilege to pay my thanks yesterday by being an American. A Lot of times we forget that our freedom isn't free. And even though, as a black woman, my freedom is not the same as some others I do appreciate the freedom I have and those who have died for it. I have said before even though being a woman in America has its issues and being black in America has its issues there is no other place in the world that I would want to be me. I hope you all had a good Veterans Day and THANK YOU to all the men and women who have served our country to keep our country safe and free.

So I got some news for you. Remember I mentioned I had some news a few weeks back that I was going to share? Well now I can share it. The OG is taking it back to the dirty! Yes you heard it. I am in my last two weeks of New England living. I will be heading back home for good and starting an awesome new job back home in the H!! Yeah! I am so happy to finally head back home. I know home is where the heart is, but to keep it real HOME is also where my house is, my friends are, my family is, and my TOM A is.

Boston really has been a great experience. I have been exposed to a different kind of life. I have to say living here has shown me that for the most part we are all the same, as far as living, loving and laughing. It has shown me what I love about being a black woman from the south and what I don't like about it. It has shown me the freedom mass transit can bring and it has shown me how plain ol' southern hospitality can open doors and charm people right out of their socks.

Living and working in Boston has shown me so much about myself and about people in general. I have learned so much and think it has made me a better person and will continue to make me a better person. It has helped me appreciate where I come from and be even more excited, if that is possible, about where I am going.

This time here in Da Bean was at the perfect time in my life. I managed to miss being affected by high gas prices because I was able to ride MBTA most of the time and zip car the rest. It has given me a new appreciation for walking and close neighbors. Appreciation for people watching and also for me it has allowed me to live a life I never cold have lived in Texas.

I have been exposed to America's birthplace. Stood on a harbor where tea was dumped and walked a trail that Harriet Tubman led many blacks to freedom. I have stood in the same university halls as DuBois and Obama (man I like how that sounds). I have met black people who come from a free lineage, meaning their people were born free way before mine could dare dream. I am in a state that is governed by a black man. I have experienced whites who get their white privilege and don't pretend its in my head. Now don't get me wrong I have also experienced smarter and more clandestine and less detectable racism and sexism. I also have witness the classicism that exist amongst black communities far more here than back home. I have watched many of the talented tenth pretend they didn't have to address the projects of Roxbury or Mattapan. It's all been a learning experience that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Some of you may know that I started blogging more frequently with my move here as way to keep friends mostly Crys abreast of New England living. Along the way I have watched history unfold from a different spot and its been interesting. I now can compare what NBA championships look like in two spots and what it feels like to be in a blue state when the first black man takes the office of president. Its been a wonderful experience in so many ways that I will never forget.

I will be home just in time for the holidays and I am excited about it. TOM A will be here next week to help me ship the last of my stuff and say good bye to Boston. I will be spending this week taking in some of the things I never had time to do when I was working here. Thanks for taking this journey with me and stay tune for a different kind a journey. It's the first day of the REST of my life! And really for me, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

Be EZ,
OG

Comments

NoRegrets said…
Well good for you and congratulations! Does this mean you're not blogging anymore?
Thanks NoR!!

Of course not. I blogged before Boston, it just was when I moved here I was blogging a lot less frequently. Being here away from my life gav me a lot more time to blog than I had before moving here.

I will alwys blog, but how frequently really will depend on what life looks like around me.

-OG
Your welcome, for taking this journey with you, it was my pleasure!

I am feeling the first day of the rest of your life OG.

I bet Tom A can hardly wait for the two of you to reunite, I bet it will be special!

Because there is no place like home!
crys said…
don't worry ya'll - i will make sure she blogs :-)

yay! yay! and more yay!
Keith said…
You're right..There is definitely no place like home...I kinda felt that you would be going back to Houston..You kept going home so much..and if you got a man there, it's a drag being a million miles away in some other city...I wish you luck and I know that you'll still be blogging. I'm going to wrap my latest series up in Escapades for you before you do go.. The next two installments-
"Need You Bad" tomorrow and "Bust Your Windows" on Friday up the ante in my "Sex Monster" story. Hope you like them.
@Keith- LOL! Well the plan wasn't to be here any longer than 18 months. I came up here think it would be more like 6-12 months, so I guess I fell right in the middle of that.

I also had already decided I would go home more frequently once it got colder here.

This job served its purpose and like I said glad I tried it. Seeing as I had never truly lived away, since I went to college in my back yard. It was a nice experience.

In 2008 I will have had New England spring, summer, fall combined with a Houston winter pretty good year if you ask me.

my man? watch it I am still a little gun shy about calling him that. *lol*

-OG
eclectik said…
Awwwww man!

I was gon drive up to kick it!
...I aint goin down sowf tho

guess we will hafta keep it on blog.

e.
Me said…
I think it is great that you have lived away from home and were able to appreciate it. Look at it this way...at least you know what a real winter season is like...we will see how much you love it here in the H around July. :-)
Well Raven, not so much. I will have missed the winter season by a month!! *lol* So I've managed to have the mildest 2008 I was here in the summer and I will be home during the winter here. *lol*

I'm cool with that. I think I will take July home over January in Boston or I can always come back up here to visit the friends I made when it gets too hot back home!

-OG
Anonymous said…
How you gonna leave before winter sets in up here? LOL This has indeed been a mild fall for New England.

Congrats on the new gig! Should you find your self back in New England, definitely let a sista know. :^)
Sister Girl said…
Although people poke fun of the South,it's a much different experience here. But I wouldn't trade ANYTHING for the good food & laid back ways that we kick it up !

One love,

T.
F.U. said…
Congrats OG! How exciting!! I love that you took a chance on something new and made the most of that experience.

But the truth is, there is indeed no place like home.

I can't wait for the 'dirty' updates!

Popular Posts